The conference location is Trento, a beautiful city in the heart of the Dolomites Alps, near Lake Garda. The center has a strong Renaissance mark with several beautiful buildings adorned by frescoes, some built to accomodate delegates to the Council of Trent (1545-1563). The surroundings of Trento offer beautiful naturalistic tracks on top of mountains (e.g., Monte Bondone), around the numerous lakes or nearby ancient castles.
What to visit in Trento downtown
- Buonconsiglio Castle. This castle is a "must visit" attraction as it represents the main monument of the city.
- Duomo. The Duomo of Trento, also known as Saint Vigilius Cathedral is located in the main square of Trento.
- Palazzo delle Albere. A representative villa, built in Renaissance style, that now hosts a permanent modern art museum.
- Museo diocesano tridentino. Next to the Duomo, Palazzo Pretorio host a permanent exhibition.
- Roman underground ruins. In Piazza Battisti you will find the access to the ruins of the underground ancient Trento built by the Romans. This is actually another city under Trento.
The environs of Trento
The mountains that surround the town, a few minutes away by bus or cableway, offer spectacular views and pleasant walks. For guests who wish to stay longer, attractions that can be visited within a day range from Garda Lake to Verona.
20 minutes from Trento
- Monte Bondone. This is the mountain that you can see just looking west from Trento down town. It can be reached either by bus, by car or by cable-car for hiking, for enjoying the landscape or just for having some traditional food in the local restaurants.
- Levico lake and Caldonazzo lake. The lake is a very good place to spend some time and relax, either just walking by or of laying at the lakeside and catch some sun. If you like to practice sport, a number of facilities are available: jogging, cycling, swimming, sailing, wind-surfing. A wonderful nature path surrounds the Caldonazzo lake.
30 minutes from Trento
- MART (Trento and Rovereto Museum of Modern Art). This is major modern art museum in Rovereto. It hosts ever changing exhibitions.
- Castel Toblino. An impressive landscape: a medieval castle surrounded by a small lake among the mountains.
40 minutes from Trento
- Riva del Garda. You can practice sailing or just enjoy the landscape in the biggest lake in Italy.
60 minutes from Trento
- Verona. If you already know well Trento, you could visited the near city of Verona The city has been awarded world heritage site status by UNESCO because of its urban structure and architecture.
1.5 hours from Trento
- Campitello di Fassa Col Rodella (Eastern Dolomites). With cable car service from Campitello di Fassa you can reach the Col Rodella for one of the most wonderful landscapes of the Dolomite are dominated by the imposing mass of the Sassolungo. There you can spend some time in the refugees, such as the Refuge Des Alpes, Madonna di Campiglio, Pinzolo, Val Rendena (Brenta Dolomites/Western Dolomites). From Madonna di Campiglio you can have a view of the Brenta Dolomites; 40 kilometers of mountains.
For further information about attractions in Trento, please contact the local tourist information center, or visit its main office in: